Diplomatic missions



Australia and Oceania


North America

South America


Last update 25 January 2023Diplomatic missions

Risk index

Level 3: Increased level of risk (recommendation not to travel in certain areas of the country unless necessary)


Select passport type

Regular passport: visa not required

Diplomatic passport: visa not required

Official passport: visa not required

People’s Republic of China


diplomatic representations of the republic of bulgaria to the people's republic of china

Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in Beijing, The People’s Republic of China
Address: Xiu Shui Bei Jie 4, Beijing – 10060, China
Telephone: +86 10 6532 1946; +86 10 6532 1916
Fax: +86 10 6532 4502
Out-of-hours hotlines: + 8610 6532 1916;  + 8610 6532 1946
Consular service
Administrative service of Bulgarian citizens:
Mon - Fri, 10.00 - 12.00 h and 13.00 - 17.00 h
To submit documents for a visa or receive a visa:
Tue and Thu, 10.00 - 12.00 h
Information service to citizens on visa matters:
14.00 - 17.00 h
The days off are Saturday and Sunday and the officially announced holidays when no administrative services are delivered to citizens with the exception of Humanitarian cases.
E-mail: [email protected]
[email protected]

Website: www.mfa.bg/embassies/china

Consulate General of the Republic of Bulgaria in Shanghai, China
Address: Unit 1416, 14th Floor, Building B
Far East International Plaza
317 Xianxia Road
Shanghai 200051, PRC
Tel: + 86-21-6237-6183; +86-21-6237-6187
Fax: + 86-21-6237-6189
Office hours - consular services:
Mon to Fri, 10.00 - 12.30 and 13.30 - 16.30 /except official public holidays/
Legalizations and new passports with prior appointment via
E-mail: [email protected]
Web site: www.mfa.bg/embassies/chinagc

Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in the Republic of Bulgaria
Address: София, ул. „Александър фон Хумболт” 7
Telephone: +359 2 973 38 73; +359 2 973 38 51
Fax: +359 2 971 10 81
Consular department
Telephone: +359 2 973 39 47
Fax: +359 2 973 31 22
Working hours: Tue and Thu, 09.00 - 11.00 h 

Е-mail: [email protected]

Website: www.chinaembassy.bg


If she or he wishes to be treated with the methods of the traditional Chinese medicine, a foreigner is advised to establish a prior contact with the specialized hospitals.

General information

general information

Local currency

Chinese yuan (CNY)

Foreign currency could be exchanged into Chinese yuan at most of the offices of the chinese banks in the cities or at the reception desks at the hotels. When leaving the country, you can change the yuans back into foreign currency only if you present the receipt for currency exchange at any office of the Bank of China.

Crime and security

In the central areas, especially in big cities or tourist attractions there are cases of petty theft of money, documents and other property. For some of the victims the problem is keeping all documents, money, tickets etc. in one place.

Customs requirements

When entering the territory of China special customs declarations should be filled. There are restrictions for import of food products and other goods in non-standard packages with short durability. The export of antiques is subject to strict customs control. Special permitions issued by the Ministry of Culture are required.

There are strict measures against the import of opiates and explosives.

Any quantities of alcohol imported for personal use must also be declared.

When entering the territory of China all foreigners must declare their foreign currency, if exceeding 5 000 UD dollars.

When leaving the country and the value of the foreign currency you have with you is between 5 000 and 10 000 US dollars, you must present to the customs authorities a document titled “Permit for export of foreign currency from the country issued by a Chinese bank.

When the exported amount is in excess of 10 000 US dollars, the document must be certified by the local Foreign Currency Bureau.

When leaving the territory of China every foreigner has the right to export up to 2 bottles of alcohol.

The customs authorities do not have any specific requirements for export of herbs produced and bought in China by Bulgarian citizens in their capacity of physical persons and not commercial companies. Depending on the quantity of the drugs and herbs, you should check the requirements to their import on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria in advance.


The medical services in China are paid. The possession of a health insurance will help you in the case of sudden sickness and need for medical assistance. For tourist trips the travel agents usually make the necessary insurance for their groups.

Travel papers and visas

Bulgarian citizens travelling to China need a visa, obtained in Sofia or from other Chinese diplomatic missions or consular representations abroad in advance.

People possessing official or diplomatic passports can travel without a visa.

Since 14 July 2005 the Bulgarian citizens may enter the territories of the special administrative Chinese regions of Macao and Hong Kong without a visa for a period of up to 90 days within 6 months. People wishing to visit Hong Kong from China and then come back must obtain a bi- or multi-entry visa for China in a timely manner

When applying for a visa you will need: valid international passport, filled-in visa form, two photos. It is possible to be asked for an interview.

For private and business visits you will need an invitation from a Chinese citizen or firm.

Journalist visas are issued only with a special certificate from the competent Chinese authorities. Student and training visas for China need the written consent of the Chinese Ministry of education.

According to the Chinese legislation a foreigner who has entered the country with a certain visa type has no right and cannot change his or her visa on the spot. When on short visit in the country in the case of necessity foreigners may apply to the police foreigner bureaus for prolongation of their stay with one month. Those are also competent on issuing long-term residence permits for China. .

Since the beginning of 2004 the Chinese authorities began issuing long-term residence permits with 1 to 5 years’ validity for foreign investors, foreign experts with high qualification and foreign students at the state education institutions. A residence permit for China is equal to a multi-entry visa.

As of 01.01.2013, China introduced 72-hour visa-free transit and stay regime on the territory of Beijing and Shanghai for nationals of 45 states, including Bulgaria.

When transiting the territory of the two cities, a mandatory condition for travelers is the possession of airplane ticket proving that they will continue their journey to a third state. It is not allowed to buy such ticket upon arrival at the Beijing/Shanghai Airport. Another condition requires from travelers to enter and leave the country through the Beijing/Shanghai Central International Airport. Travelers by train or other motor vehicles will not be able to profit by the newly introduced visa-free stay rules. Foreign travelers, making use of the72-hour visa-free stay regime in Beijing/Shanghai, are not allowed to leave the territory of the respective administrative regions. Where foreigners have accommodated in private rooms and not in hotels, they are required to register within 24 hours at the local police division in the region where they are staying.

Where foreign travelers cannot leave the territory of Beijing or Shanghai within the prescribed period for reasons beyond their control, they shall apply for obtaining a visa before the Entry& Exit Administration Office of the Beijing Municipal Public Security, respectively the Shanghai Municipal Public Security. Failure to obtain a visa in accordance with the requirements will result in sanctioning the offenders with the same administrative penalties, which are applied in cases of illegal entry and overstaying a visa.

For tourist traveling to Beijing or Shanghai, one can make use of the services offered by local tourist companies, which include one-day, two-day and three-day tourist packages, emphasizing on the historical and cultural sights and the Chinese cuisine. The package includes also dinners, shopping, cultural events, show programmes and other tourist entertainments.

Working in China
To work on the territory of the People’s Republic of China a foreigner needs to obtain a special permit from the Chinese authorities and the respective visa. It is a specific feature of Chinese legislation that when hiring foreign workers for jobs performed on the country’s territory the work contracts are signed directly without intermediaries, including foreign ones. A special service at the city or district administrations performs the control over contracts concluded with foreigners. Persons wishing to work in China should have in mind the different climatic conditions, ethnic, local and other characteristics and traditions.

Competitive service

Foreigners who don't speak Chinese, are not recommended to visit alone remote suburban areas or small towns where they may have difficulties in communicating with the locals. When travelling to Tibet, Sinkiang and other provinces and autonomous regions you will need a special permit from the Chinese authorities with description of your itinerary, vehicle etc.

Bulgarian identity documents

The consular service at the embassy in Beijing accepts only applications for temporary passports.

Certification and legalisation

Between Bulgaria and China an agreement has been signed for legal assistance by force of which documents/acts drafted in each of the countries (for China only for the special administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macao) do not need any further legalisation in order to be recognised by the other country’s authorities. Outside the quoted regions of China where this agreement applies the documents/acts drafted by the Chinese institutions must bear the stamp of the Chinese Ministry of foreign affairs, which is certified by the consular service of the Bulgarian diplomatic mission and then translated into Bulgarian and certified in the due order by the Certifications and legalisations department of the Ministry of foreign affairs.

Civil status

The Chinese legislation allows marriages between Chinese citizens and citizens of other countries. For this purpose the Bulgarian citizen must present a document issued, certified and translated in advance in Bulgarian and stating that at the time of the marriage in China, they do not have another valid marriage elsewhere.

This site uses cookies. By accepting cookies you can optimise your browsing experience.

Accept Refuse More