The earliest information about official bilateral contacts dates back to 1893. In 1924, the first Portuguese Minister Plenipotentiary (based in Bucharest) was accredited in Sofia. Bulgaria opened its legation in Lisbon on August 1, 1942. After their severance in 1945, diplomatic relations were restored at embassy level on June 26, 1974 by signing a Statement on the establishment of diplomatic relations. Bulgaria and Portugal maintain close cooperation and contacts, including with regard to the European and Euro-Atlantic agenda, without controversial or unresolved issues.
In recent years, the following visits have been paid at top level: visit of President Anibal Silva (Sofia, June 2015); visit of President Rosen Plevneliev (November 2015); visit of President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa (September 2016 and June 2021); visit of President Rumen Radev (January 2019).
Trade and economic relations are in good level. Appropriate sectors with high added value for further cooperation are in the field of energy (renewable energy sources), high-tech industries; joint initiatives on the green and digital agenda, tourism.
According to official data, the number of Bulgarian citizens residing in Portugal permanently is 6 839, according to unofficial data, their number is 13 000. In 2009, an association of the Bulgarian community was established - the Portuguese-Bulgarian Association "St. St. Cyril and Methodius" and the first Bulgarian Sunday School was opened. Since 2012, the Bulgarian Orthodox Church “St. Mary of Kabo”, provided by the Catholic Church of Portugal to the Bulgarian Church Board for free use, has opened its doors in Lisbon.