Last update 09 September 2019Diplomatic missions
Level 4: Termination warning throughout the country (except in case of extreme necessity)
Select passport type
Regular passport: visa not required
Diplomatic passport: visa not required
Official passport: visa not required
Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
The Republic of Bulgaria does not have a functioning Embassy in Sri Lanka. The servicing Embassy for Sri Lanka is in New Delhi, India.
Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria to the Republic of India
Address: 16/17 Chandragupta Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi – 110021
Telephone: +91 11 26115549; +91 11 26115551
Fax: +91 11 26876190
Emergency Mobile Number: +91 9910999498
Honorary Consulate of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka in the Republic of Bulgaria
Address: Sofia-1000, 8, Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd., fl. 5
Tel.: +359 2 4401444
Mr. Borislav Sarandev, Honorary Consul
Accredited for Bulgaria is the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Warsaw.
Embassy of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka in Warsaw
Sri Lankian Rupee (LKR)
Crime and security
The situation in the country is relatively peaceful. Armed soldiers patrol the streets and the instructions should be observed.
Crowded places should be avoided. There is a high risk of politically motivated violence during public events.
The level of crime with respect to tourists is low, but there are registered cases of pick pocketing sand robberies, as well as kid napping of foreigners. Frauds with credit cards are also possible.
The traffic of vehicles is in the left lane.
People coming from countries, where yellow fever is common, are required to produce a document proving vaccination against yellow fever.
Malaria is a very common disease all over the country. It is advisable to sleep in air-conditioned or well insulated rooms and to use mosquito nets.
Other quite common diseases are dengue fever, leptospirosis, measles and - bird flu.
It is advisable to take out a high-risk medical insurance.
During the stay in Sri Lanka it is recommended to consume only bottled water or pre-boiled water and ice from such water. Fruits and vegetables should be thoroughly washed and dried before consumption.Consumption of food that has not undergone heat treatment is not recommended. Any unhygienic restaurants and food stalls on the street should be avoided.
certification and legalisation
In order to be valid in Bulgaria and recognised by the Bulgarian institution any documents issued by the authorities in Sri Lanka must bear the stamp of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. After that they should be certified by the embassy of Sri Lanka in New Delhi, India. The signature and certification of the embassy of Sri Lanka in New Delhi should be certified at the consular service of the embassy of Bulgaria there.
The documents should then be translated into Bulgarian by an authorised translation agency in Bulgaria and certified by the Certifications and legalisations department of the Ministry of foreign affairs.
Emergency travel Document
In extreme cases – damaging, lost or stolen passport, Bulgarian citizens may apply for issuing an Emergency Travel Document at any embassy of an EU member-state in Sri Lanka.
Travel papers and visas
Bulgarian citizens need to have a visa, in order to visit Shri Lanka. One can obtain a visa at arrival in the country (a tourist visa with right to stay for 30 days) or by the Embassy of Shri Lanka.
The Embassy of Sri Lanka in Warsaw is accredited for Bulgaria.
As of 01.01.2012 citizens from all the countries, which share Visa regulations with Sri Lanka(including Bulgaria), must register with the Electronic Travel Authorization System – ETA if they plan to visit the country for business or tourism purposes. The positive statement which shall be received through the ETA must be presented to the immigration authorities of Sri Lanka upon arrival in the country in order to receive a visa. If you receive a negative statement after the registration in ETA, you must not undertake your trip. You are advised to get in contact with the nearest Embassy of Sri Lanka.
The ETA allows a payment of the visa charges through electronic banking. These charges may also be paid upon arrival in Sri Lanka.
For all the other types of visas (long-term visas, visas for official visits of holders of diplomatic and service passports) the Bulgarian citizens can apply at any Embassy of Sri Lanka.
One should always have an identification document with a photo and obey the instructions of the security force sand of the police.
It is advisable not to take pictures of army, government or VIP buildings and vehicles, because this may become a reason for arrest.
Possession, use and distribution of narcotic substances are subject to sever punishments.
Clothing should be in compliance with the local customs and religious practices.
Templesmay be visited only with covered legs and shoulders and it is forbidden to take pictures of divine images; shoes should be taken off at entry.
It is not acceptable for couples to hold each other’s hands at public places.
What can the consular employees do for you?
- Protect the rights and the interests of Bulgarian citizens, Bulgarian legal people and individuals of Bulgarian origin in India and in the other accredited states– Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka, in accordance with the Bulgarian legislation and the international treaties, which are in force for the Republic of Bulgaria, within the limits permissible by international law and customs, and by the legislation of India and of the other accredited states;
- Consult natural and legal people on issues in the sphere of consular activities or of substantial public interest, or Bulgarian citizens in distress;
- Consult natural and legal people on the representation of their interests in procedural and court cases, in imposed restrictions to enter the territory of India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka, in tracking down inheritance/heirs, etc. on the territory of the accredited states;
- Accept, process and forward to the competent Bulgarian institutions applications for issuing Bulgarian identification documents (passport, identity card and driving license);
- Accept and process statements for declaring invalid Bulgarian identification documents; accept invalid Bulgarian identification documents and subsequently inform the competent Bulgarian institutions;
- Accept and process applications for issuing temporary passports of Bulgarian citizens having their documents lost or stolen, and of certificate for returning to Bulgaria of a foreigner; issue replacement travel documents upon obtaining the respective authorisation by the competent Bulgarian institutions;
- Draw up Statement for established administrative violations under the Law for the Bulgarian Identification Documents;
- Prepare certificates, certificatory notes, etc., within the competences of the Embassy;
- Accept and process applications for establishing Bulgarian citizenship and PIN, for entering PIN in the National Database “Population” and for choosing/changing of permanent and current address in the Republic of Bulgaria;
- Accept and process applications for acquisition or reinstatement of Bulgarian citizenship or for release of Bulgarian citizenship;
- Accept and process civil status notifications and documents for contracting civil marriage in the Embassy;
- Make translations and verifications of the translator’s signature on civil status documents and verifications of the translator’s signature on other documents and papers in accordance with the delegated competences;
- Notary certifications of signatures and of transcripts/copies;
- Accept and process applications for issuing Bulgarian visas;
- Provide information about the procedure and conditions for issuing visas;
- Accept requests and cooperation for providing assistance to Bulgarian citizens and foreigners in distress on the territory of India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka;
- Protect the interests of Bulgarian natural and legal people in extraordinary circumstances(natural calamities, terrorist attacks, etc.) and of the rights of Bulgarian citizens – victims of trafficking for sexual or other form of exploitation, etc.;
- Provide information about Bulgarian citizens, who have been detained and/or serve a sentence of imprisonment on the territory of the accredited states;
- Represent the interests of minors and underage people, people with limited capacity and disable people within the international customs and legislation of India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka;
- Tracking down of Bulgarian citizens or people of Bulgarian origin on the territory of India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka at the request of Bulgarian natural or legal people in the presence of lawful interest within the international customs and legislation of these states;
- Provide assistance to the crews of sea and river vessels sailing under the flag of the Republic of Bulgaria and of aircrafts, registered in the Republic of Bulgaria, within the international customs and legislation of the receiving states; where necessary– accept ship sailing declarations, formalise ship documents and settle disputes between the ship master, the commanding staff, the sailors and the passengers, as far as this is provided for in the legislation of the Republic of Bulgaria;
- Provide information about victims, detainees, deceased or perished Bulgarian citizens on the territory of India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka;
- Provide information about the procedures and the required documents and render assistance for repatriation to Bulgaria or for carrying out a funeral/official funeral in these states in case of death of a Bulgarian citizen;
- In cases of arrest– visit by the consular official of the detained Bulgarian citizen; give information and assistance to the family of the detained person for visiting him/her in prison; efforts to guarantee equal treatment of the detained Bulgarian citizen as to the citizens of the receiving country;
- Provide updated information in case of travelling to and from the accredited states;
- Accept requests for access to public information and provide information on issues related to the Bulgarian identification documents (passport, identity card and driving license), to the possibilities for reinstatement or acquisition of Bulgarian citizenship, to the civil status, on issues of citizenship, Apostilles, legalisations, translations of documents and verifications of translator’s signature and other notary activities in accordance with delegated competences;
- In extraordinary cases of Bulgarian citizens in distress and upon depositing by their family of the necessary amount at the cash desk of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Embassy will pay the respective amount to the person.