Last update 13 May 2020Diplomatic missions
Level 3: Increased level of risk (recommendation not to travel in certain areas of the country unless necessary)
Select passport type
Regular passport: visa not required
Diplomatic passport: visa not required
Official passport: visa not required
Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in Bratislava
Address: Kuzmanyho Street 1, 811 06 Bratislava
Telephone: +421 2 544 15 308; +421 2 544 35 971
+421 2 544 32 649
Fax: +421 2 544 12 404
Office Hours of the Consular service:
Mo, Tue, Wed, Fri 08.30 - 12.30 h
Thu 12.30 - 16.30 h
Оut-of-hours hotline:+421 911 28 42 29
E-mail: [email protected]
Mrs. Edita Blagoeva
9009 Varna, 320, boul. Vl. Varnenchique
Tél.: +359 52 739 440
Fax: +359 52 739 450
Crime and security
The level of criminality is not higher than the EU average.
Increased vigilance with regard to possible theft of documents or valuables when travelling by public transport or taking walks in the later hours of the day.
When stopping at gasstations are established cases of intentionaldamage to car tires to make the driversstop further down the road and leave their personalbelongings unattended to be stolen.
There are cases of theft of the front license plates of vehicles for using them in committing crimes or breach of public peace.
Bulgarian nationalsneed to know that poaching in Slovakia is considered a criminal offenceand ispunished severely, including with imprisonment.
In case of failure to pay electronic toll for vehicle over 3,5 tons or composition of vehicles with total weight over 3,5 tons, a fine will be imposed in the amount of EUR 700.00.
Zero tolerance of drunk driving is established by law.
Import of 1 liter of alcohol and 200 pieces of cigarettes per person is allowed.
Traffic is on the right side.
There is a charge for highways and first-class roads payable in the form of vignette, which has to be stuck on the windscreen.
Vehicles weighing more than 3,5 tons or compositions of vehicles with total weight over 3,5 tons pay the charge in the form of the so-called ‘electronic toll’.
From1 January 2014 the road network to which vehicles and compositions with weight over 3.5 t are due to pay toll in the form of "electronic duty" , was extended with approximately 234 km.
Map of these road sections, as well as the places for obtaining the mandatory electronic on-board unit forcalculating the driven kilometers is available here:
Vehicles must have their headlights switched on all year round. There is a requirement for a spare set of bulbs for the headlights in the vehicle.
Speed limits should be strictly observed: 50 km/h in urban areas, 90 km/h outside urban areas and 130 km/h on highways.
The requirements for fastened seatbelts and switched on headlights are very strictly observed.
Fine amounts for traffic violations can be downloaded HERE
To be considered:
- The table does not include the most serious violations where the penalty is determined after further clarification by the punishing body of the circumstances of the infringement and its consequences.
- The table applies only in cases where the driver does not dispute the violation. In case of dispute, the amount of the penalty is determined by the Inspectorate for transport.
- The table does not include cases of criminal responsibility in which the court is authorized.
The level of healthcare meets the EU standards
Information particularly concerning drivers of vehicles over 3,5 tons or vehicle compositions with total weight over 3,5 tons:
- Observing the rules for electronic toll payment is mandatory;
- In the event the red light of the device is on, the amount should be supplemented at the firs possible point (usually a gas station);
- In the event of fault in the metering device, the trip should be suspended and the company SkyToll, which is in charge for the maintenance,should be contacted immediately. Contact details are as follows:
SkyToll, a. s.Apollo Business Center
Address: Prievozská 2/a, 821 09 Bratislava, Slovenská republika
Telephone: + 421 2 32 60 70 11
Fax: + 421 2 32 19 94 02; + 421 2 32 19 94 03
E-mail: [email protected]
- After notifying SkyToll, please act according to their instructions;
- If drivers are stopped by officers of the specialized police and an infringement related to non-payment of electronic toll is established, drivers should know that as a party to administrative and criminal proceedings (in case they do not know the Slovak language) they are entitled to request the act they are presented to sign to be in the Bulgarian language or an interpreter to be called to translate it for them;
- The act should not be signed until the arrival of an interpreter or until translated into the Bulgarian language;
- In the event the law enforcement authorities try to persuade the driver to sign the act by threatening to withhold his driving license, the driver should be ready to give it to them, but should definitely refuse to sign the act without an interpreter or in a foreign language. In such case the police officers are obliged to invite him to the police department to discuss the case and to return his driving license. The vehicle should be locked and the police should be responsible for its safety. However, such invitation is not a ground for signing an act with which the driver does not agree or does not understand its content;
- The driver should be aware that officersof the special police have the right to keephis driver's license only if:
- The driver is drunk;
- Carries (in his luggage) dangerous items, narcotic substances, etc.;
- An act for fine has been issued which he has signed, but refuses to pay the fine immediately. In relation to the above, we would like to reiterate that taking away the driving license is legal only if the driver had signed the act for committed infringement.
Travel papers and visas
•___A valid identity card is sufficient to enter and reside in the country.
•___There is no requirement for any additional period of validity of the id card or passport with which you have entered the country.
•___Slovakia is part of the Schengen area and therefore the land borders with the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary and Austria have no passport and customs control. Mobile customs groups perform checks inside the territory of the Republic of Slovakia.
•___There is an obligation for foreigners to register with the police if the period of their residence exceeds 90 consecutive days.
In case of emergency:
- Police- 158
- Road assistance - 124
- Rescue service - 155
Certification and Legalization
According to Art. 10 of the acting agreement for legal cooperation in settlement of civil, family and criminal matters between Bulgaria and the Slovak Republic, documents issued or certified by a competent authority in accordance with the established format and bearing a seal are recognized on the territory of the other country without further legalization (no Apostil is required).
In the Consular Service at the embassy can be certified:
Signature on private document – power of attorney, declaration, etc.;
The content of a document for purchase and sale of real estate;
Correctness of transcript or genuineness of a copy of an original;
The signature of a licensed translator.
In the Consular Service at the embassy CAN NOT be certified or issued documents subject to registration in Bulgarian registers.
Bulgarian identity documents
Every Bulgarian national residing in the country can file an application for issuance of passport, identity card and temporary passport. In the event of issuance of the first identity card, a birth certificate has to be submitted. In case of lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed identity card/passport, a document by the police certifying the circumstances should be submitted.
For issuance of temporary passports of children born abroad are required a local birth certificate of the child and the presence of both parents. For issuance of temporary passport for returning to Bulgaria in the event of lost/stolen travel document, a statement by the police has to be submitted.
Obligation to return expired passports: up to three months after expiration of the term of validity, the holder of the passport has to submit it to the Consular Service at the embassy or to the regional police department by address of residence in Bulgaria.
Issuance of Bulgarian identity documents abroad
Primary certification of civic status is issued by the competent local authorities (Civic status service at the relevant municipality) and deadlines for registration should be observed. Special attention should be paid to keeping the deadlines for registration of birth of a child.
After obtaining the relevant local certification document, it has to be submitted to the consular service, translated and legalized in accordance with the established procedure, if the affected parties are not able to register otherwise before the local authorities a birth of a child, concluded marriage or death.
In the event the affected person is willing and capable to perform the registration in person or through an authorized representative, he/she should submit the relevant local certification document, translated and certified in accordance with the established procedure, to the respective municipality in Bulgaria:
- for birth of a child – to the municipality by the permanent address of the mother; in case she is not a Bulgarian national – by the one of the father;
- for marriage concluded before the local authorities – to the municipality by the permanent address of the husband; in case he is not a Bulgarian national – by the one of the wife;
- for death – by the permanent address of the deceased.