Diplomatic missions



Australia and Oceania


North America

South America


Last update 18 December 2023Diplomatic missions

Risk index

Level 1: Without special recommendations


Select passport type

Regular passport: visa not required

Diplomatic passport: visa not required

Official passport: visa not required

Diplomatic and Consular Representations of the Republic of Bulgaria to the USA or International Organizations

Diplomatic missions of the Republic of Bulgaria in the USA

Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in USA
Address: 1621 22nd Street, NW, Dimitar Peshev Plaza, Washington, DC 20008, USA
Telephone: +1 202 387 0174; +1 202 299 0273; +1 202 483 1386
Fax: +1 202 234 7973
Emergency hotline:+1 202 387 0174
Working hours (Monday – Friday): 09:00 – 17:30
E-mail: [email protected]; [email protected] 
Website: https://www.mfa.bg/embasies/usa 

Consular Service at the Embassy in Washington
(Consular District: Federal District of Columbia, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, and Florida)
Address: 1621 22nd Street, NW, Dimitar Peshev Plaza, Washington, DC 20008, USA (entrance from R Street)
Telephone: + 1 (202) 387-7969
Opening hours (by a preliminary scheduled appointment) 9:15 – 12:00 and 14:00 – 15:00
Working hours: (Monday – Friday): 09:00 – 17:30
Information and scheduling appointments by phone: +1 (202) 387-7969
Information on renewal of Bulgarian identity documents: http://www.bulgaria-embassy.org/bg/bg-lichni-dokumenti/ 
Working hours: 09:00 – 17:30
Opening hours: 09:15 – 12:00 and 14:00 – 15:00 only with a preliminary scheduled appointment
Information by phone: +1 202 387 7969

Permanent Mission of the Republic of Bulgaria to the United Nations, New York
Address: 11 East 84th Street, New York, NY 10028
Telephone: 212 737 4790; 212 737 4791
Fax: 212 472 9865
E-mail: [email protected];
Website: https://www.mfa.bg/embassies/usapr

Consulate General of the Republic of Bulgaria in New York
Consular District: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont
Address: 121 East 62nd Street, Nеw York, NY 10065, USA
Telephone: +1 212 935 4646
Opening hours (Monday – Friday, for scheduling an appointment on telephone: +1 212 935 4646): 10:00 – 13:30
Answers to questions by phone: 14:00 – 17:00
E-mail: [email protected] 
Website: www.mfa.bg/embassies/usagc 

Consulate General of the Republic of Bulgaria in Chicago
Consular District: Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Address: 737 North Michigan Ave., suite 2105, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Telephone: +1 312 867 1904; +1 312 867 1905
Fax: +1 312 867 1906
Emergency hotline: +1872 280 6093
Opening hours from Monday to Friday, only with a preliminary scheduled appointment 09:30 AM – 12:00 PM, 14:00 PM - 15:00 PM
Working hours (Monday – Friday) 09:00 – 17:30
Answers to questions by phone: 14:00 – 17:00
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: www.mfa.bg/embassies/usagc3

For scheduling an appointment CLICK HERE

Consulate General of the Republic of Bulgaria in Los Angeles
Consular District: (Alaska, Arizona, California, Idaho, Hawaii, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington)
Address: 11766 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 440, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
Tel.: +1 (310) 478 6700
Fax: +1 (310) 478 6277
Еmergency hotline: +1 (310) 437 3606
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: www.mfa.bg/embassies/usagc2
Visiting hours (by appointments only) /Mon-Fri/: 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
Hours for phone inquiries /Mon-Fri/: 2:30 pm – 4:30 pm

All visits to the Consulate are by appointment only!
Online platform for setting up an appointment: https://calendly.com/consulate_los-angeles
Only debit or credit cards are accepted as a form of payment!

Apply for a visa online, then arrange an interview date at the Embassy/Consulate of your choice. For details, please contact a diplomatic mission or the website http://ceac.state.gov/genniv.

Honorary Consuls of the Republic of Bulgaria in the USA:

Brooks D. Ohlson
City of Sacramento, Consular District: Northern California
Address: 1410 Ethan Way Sacramento CA 95825
Tel.: + 916 563 3222
email: [email protected]

Donald R. Tomlin
City of Columbia, Consular District: State of South Carolina
Address: o/c Tomlin & Company, Inc. 4500 Ft. Jackson Blvd. SC 29209
Tel.: + 803 540 3400/ 237 8100,
email: [email protected]

Robert Miller
City of Las Vegas, Consular District: State of Nevada
Address: 900 South Pavilion Center Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89144
Tel.: + 702 240 0831,
email: [email protected]

Adam Portnoy
City of Boston, Consular District: State of Massachusetts
Address: 255 Washington Street, Suite 300
Newton, MA 02458
Phone: +1 617 219 7490
e-mail: [email protected]

James Rigsby (James Rigsby, Jr.)
City. Augusta, Consular District: State of Georgia
Address: 2913 Lake Forest Dr., Augusta, GA 30909
Tel. +1 706 733 9122
Email: [email protected]

David Korn
City. New Orleans, Consular District: State of Louisiana
Address: 365 Canal Street, Suite 2000, New Orleans, LA 70130
Phone: +1 504 584 9374
Emails: [email protected]; [email protected]

Andrew Joshua Markus
City of Miami, Consular District: State of Florida
Address: 100 SE 2nd Street, Suite 4200, Miami, Florida 33131
Phone: +1 305 490 9820
email: [email protected]

George Vredeveld
City of Cincinnati, Consular District: State of Ohio
Address: 455 Delta Ave., Suite 205, Cincinnati, OH 45226
Tel.: +1 513 221 0884;+1 513 545 0129
e-mail: [email protected]

Bogomil Balkanski
City of San Francisco, Consular District: Silicon Valley Region
Address: 4054 20th Street, San Francisco, CA 94114
Phone: +1 415 867 30 69
e-mail: [email protected]

Elka Ruskova
City of Seattle, Consular District: State of Washington
Address: 2514 W McGraw St., Seattle, WA 98199
Phone: +1 425 373 6188
e-mail: [email protected]

Kirk Jowers
city ​​of Provo; Consular District: State of Utah
Address: 340 Stone Brook Lane
Provo UT 84604
Phone: +1 703-795-0175
email: [email protected]

Embassy of the US in Sofia
Address: 16 Koziak St., Lozenets Residential Area, 1408 Sofia
Telephone.: +359 2937 5100
Fax: +359 2 937 5320
E-mail: [email protected]

General information

Security level:
Crime rates vary from state to state, city to city, and neighbourhood to neighbourhood within the same city. It is a good idea to seek practical advice from locals or resident compatriots.
If you have to pass through unsafe neighbourhoods at night, you should always carry a small banknote. The banknote should be in the right pocket of the outer garment, not the left, as reaching into the left pocket with the right hand could be misinterpreted.
If you are stopped by police officers, their instructions must be followed strictly, your hands must be visible at all times, movements must not be sudden.
Police, fire or emergency medical services are dialled at 911 in every state.
In the event of theft of your identity documents, cash, travel tickets, etc., immediately notify the nearest police office in person and in writing and ask for a copy of the record establishing the event. Contact our diplomatic or consular mission in order to make arrangements for obtaining the necessary documents to continue your trip or return to your home country.

There are no communicable diseases that require mandatory vaccination.
Place all medications in their original packaging and check whether some of them are not considered illegal drugs abroad. If you use such substances, carry a copy of a doctor’s prescription confirming this fact.

Specifics of the local legislation:
Illegal employment carries serious consequences for the employer. It is possible, depending on the practice of the state concerned, for the hired person to be deported, no longer allowed to enter the United States, or not allowed to begin regularization procedures, if available.

Customs requirements:
Customs declarations (form 6059B) are handed in advance on board the aircraft and are available in several languages other than English, including French, German, Spanish, Italian and Polish. The declaration must be completed on board the aircraft. If a family is travelling, the head of the family can complete one declaration for the whole family.
Items and accessories for personal use (clothing, toiletries, portable radios, etc.) shall not be declared or subject to duty if they are within the normal quantity.
Duty-free importation of 1 litre of alcohol, regardless of type, 200 cigarettes, or 50 cigars (non-Cuban), or 2 kg of pipe tobacco, or a combination of these products in proportionate quantity, is allowed.
Items that do not fall within the duty-free categories and quantities are subject to a 10% duty on the first USD 1,000, and if the value exceeds USD 1,000, duty is assessed at the per-item rate.
There are no restrictions on the currency that can be imported and exported from the U.S., but if you are transferring or have transferred, at your direction, more than USD 10,000 worth of cash (cash, checks, securities, etc.), you should complete a Statement of Cash and Currency Transactions (Form 4790).
Avoid carrying third party belongings when crossing borders.
Customs requirements for the USA can be downloaded here: Customs Duty Information | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov)

Road traffic:
If you are stopped by traffic police while driving, you must stay in the car and not get out until and unless instructed to do so.
If you have been stopped at night, you must switch on the lights in the passenger compartment before the police officer approaches the car. Your hands must be visible at all times (e.g. on the steering wheel). You should only reach for documents if you have been instructed to do so by a police officer.
For general information on fines and penalties for violations of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act in the United States, see HERE.

Practical advice:
Remember that abroad you should comply with local acts and norms. You fall within their jurisdiction during your stay there. We recommend that you inform yourself about them in advance and comply with them. Penalties for breaking the law can be more stringent than those in the Republic of Bulgaria for the same offences.
If you are detained by the local authorities for any reason, require to get in touch with the Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria. The consular officer will contact you as soon as possible.
We advise you to conclude a contract for health, tourist, travel or other insurance in advance.
In case of death of a Bulgarian citizen in the USA, the nearest diplomatic or consular mission of the Republic of Bulgaria will provide assistance and help with the formalities.
You can receive direct financial support from the diplomatic or consular mission only if your relatives or close persons deposit the amount you need in advance with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, ‘Finance and Economic Activities’ Directorate
Before leaving the Republic of Bulgaria or immediately after your arrival, please write down the addresses and telephone numbers of the Bulgarian diplomatic or consular mission in the country of your visit. It is appropriate for this information to be provided to the administration of hotels you are staying at, the tour operators you travel with and the local police office, if necessary.

Local currency:
US Dollar (USD).

There are no areas of increased risk for natural disasters. If a hurricane or tornado warning is issued while in the middle states or along the southeast coast, appropriate safety guidelines should be followed.

Travel papers and visas

Travel papers and visa requirements:

When travelling to the USA, you must have a valid passport and an issued visa. A valid visa is only an entry document and the length of stay in the country is determined by the immigration (border) officer. Each traveller should be prepared to answer questions about the purpose of his/her stay, means of subsistence, etc. Both index fingers are fingerprinted at the border crossing upon entry into the country. The white rectangular card issued by the immigration officer (Form I—94) should be kept in the passport and presented when leaving the country. The same serves as proof that the visitor has left the United States.

Useful tips for visa applicants before travelling

Visa categories and related procedures:

In connection with the fact that on November 2017 it was the ten (10)-year-anniversary of the launch of the practice of taking ten (10) fingerprints of Bulgarian applicants for a U.S. visa, the U.S. Embassy in Sofia informs that citizens will have the opportunity to take advantage of the Drop-Box procedure, without the need for a new interview and fingerprinting, when renewing their visa. The Drop-Box allows those wishing to apply to submit their application form, together with the necessary additional documents, via TNT Express courier service or directly to the Consular Office of the Embassy of the United States of America, between 16:00—16:30, every business day. For this purpose, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- be Bulgarian or foreign citizens permanently residing in the Republic of Bulgaria;
- wish to renew a temporary residence visa for business or tourism purposes (B1/B2) or a crew/transit visa (C1/D);
- your previous visa was issued by the Consulate of the United States of America in Sofia after October 31, 2007;
- you have been taken 10 (ten) fingerprints on/after 31 October 2017;
- their previous visa has not been lost or stolen;
- their previous visa has not been revoked or withdrawn;
- they have never been refused a visa;
- the answer to all questions on Form DS-160 related to their security and background is ‘no.’
- applicants for a crew/transit visa (C1/D) need to provide an employment contract or a letter from the company employing them.

There are different categories of visas to enter the US. More information can be found here: Visas – U.S. Embassy in Bulgaria (usembassy.gov)

There are many types of visas available to foreign visitors to the United States. Please review the information below to determine which visa best suits your needs.

- Temporary Business or Tourism (B1/B2) - Travellers to the USA for tourism purposes need to provide information on where they will be staying. If you are travelling to visit friends, please provide an invitation from them, as well as a copy of the document showing their legal status in the US. If you wish to visit relatives, please indicate your relationship to the inviting country, including whether they are U.S. citizens, green card holders, or holders of nonimmigrant visas for temporary work or study in the United States. You can provide an invitation from them as well as a copy of the document showing their legal status in the US.
Visa applicants may, if they wish, submit additional documents to support the claim that they have strong ties to their country of permanent residence for which they will return to their home country after a temporary stay in the U.S. (these can be property ownership documents; bank statements; documents showing that the applicant is working; evidence of family ties, etc.).
Business visa applicants will need to be prepared to provide information on the exact purpose of their trip. Those who will be visiting business partners or clients need to submit correspondence with them indicating the purpose of the trip. B1/B2 visa applicants must complete a form DS-160.

- Treaty Traders & Investors (E-1)(E-2) - The E-1 and E-2 visas are intended for individuals who intend to invest in or trade with a U.S. company. It should be borne in mind that these visas are not a substitute for immigrant visas. Individuals who want to stay in the United States permanently must apply for the appropriate type of immigrant visa.

- Temporary Work (H, L)

Nonimmigrant work visa, (H)
An H visa is issued to an applicant traveling for temporary employment in the United States. To obtain an H visa, the applicant must submit: (a) a letter of approved petition (Form I-797) that has been filed by the U.S. employer and approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS); and (b) evidence that he or she is qualified for the job by providing documentation of prior experience and education in the relevant field.
H visa applicants must complete a form DS-160.

Intracompany transfer (L)
The purpose of the L visa is to allow employees in international companies to be transferred to work in the U.S. branch in order to improve management efficiency, expand U.S. exports, and increase the company's competitiveness in international markets. To obtain an L visa, the applicant must submit: (a) a petition (Form I-129) filed by the U.S. employer and approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS); (b) the U.S. employer is the same company, corporation, or other legal entity, subsidiary, division, or branch in which the visa applicant works; (c) the prospective employer will continue to do business in the United States as well as in at least one other country; (d) the visa applicant has been employed by the transferring company for at least one year within the past three years; and (e) the visa applicant is a manager, director, or highly skilled employee who will hold a management position in the U.S. branch or a position requiring high qualifications. Applicants for L visas must complete the DS-160.

- Student or Exchange Programs (F, M, J)

Student visas (F, M)
Student visa applicants must submit a Form I-20 as well as financial documents showing that the applicant can pay the costs of tuition for the first year, also how the costs will be paid for subsequent years of study. The Form I-20 is issued by the U.S. institution where the student has been accepted to study. Applicants for F-1 and M-1 visas must complete the DS-160 Form and provide the confirmation sheet on the day of the interview with all other documents. Evidence that the applicant can pay for the first year's tuition costs can be in the form of: a bank statement of available funds; an official statement of the person sponsoring the student's studies (tax return or official statement showing the sponsor's income). Students whose Form I-20 was issued after 1 September 2004, are also required to pay a USD 200 SEVIS fee before appearing for an interview. The visa cannot be issued until this fee has been paid.
Please note that there are special requirements for students wishing to attend state schools in the USA.

Exchange Visas (J)

The U.S. government as well as many private organizations sponsor various exchange programs. These can be academic or cultural exchange programmes, au pair programmes or summer brigades. J1 visa applicants must submit a Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for NIV Exchange Visitor), which is issued by the sponsoring organization in the United States. Applicants for J-1 visas must complete the DS-160 Form and provide the confirmation sheet on the day of the interview with all other documents. Scholarship students and exchange program participants whose DS-2019 Form was issued after 1 September 2004 are also required to pay a SEVIS fee (in most cases USD 180) before appearing for an interview. The visa cannot be issued until this fee has been paid.

- Summer Work & Travel Program For Students

For more information on Student and Exchange programs, please see Studying in the U.S. or the State Department's Educational and Cultural Exchanges website.

- Crew Members and/or Transit (C1/D)

Pilots, flight attendants, sailors or ship's crew members, as well as those traveling to the U.S. to join a ship or aircraft, need to apply for this type of visa. C1/D visa applicants must complete a Form DS-160.

- Journalists (I)

Representatives of the press, radio, television or any other type of media organisation need to apply for this type of visa. This group includes employees whose activities are of particular importance to the media institution, for example: reporters, film crew, film editors, etc. A Journalist I visa can be issued not only to employees of news media institutions covering news or working on documentary productions, but also to employees of independent organizations that are accredited by a professional journalists' association. I visa applicants must complete the DS-160.

- Religious Occupations (R)

Ministers in religious organizations are priests authorized by a recognized religious community to celebrate liturgy or other spiritual activities. This group includes: monks, nuns, religious brothers/sisters, clergy, cantors, catechists, religious hospital workers, missionaries, religious interpreters, religious radio/TV speakers. Applicants for R visas must complete the DS-160.

- Fiancé/Fiancee Visas (K-1/K-2)

The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Act authorizes the issuance of a nonimmigrant visa (K-1) for citizens traveling to the United States for the purpose of marriage. Please contact the Immigrant Visa Department for more information.

- Spouse/Children of U.S. Citizen (K-3/K-4)

The K-3 (spouse) and K-4 (child) nonimmigrant visas are issued for the purpose of reunifying families separated for an extended period of time where an immigrant visa petition is already pending. The visa permits the applicant to travel and reside in the United States until the petition is approved. Please contact the Immigrant Visa Department for more information.

Questions about the right type of visa are addressed during the interview.

Competitive service

Civil status documents and certificates:
Under current U.S. regulations, employees of diplomatic and consular missions of foreign countries are not in the category of persons who may obtain personal information and civil status documents (birth, death, marital status). The local authorities shall provide originals and duplicates of certificates of civil status only to the direct relatives of a deceased person (children, parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, spouse) or to notarially authorized representatives of any of them — experts, lawyers, etc. This applies for a period of 25 years after the date of death. Such certificates shall be issued by the municipality concerned upon application by a person who has proved his or her entitlement thereto and payment of a fee on the spot or by mail. An order may also be placed by credit card on the website of an authorized agency, e.g., www.vitalcheck.com, but in this case the documents are sent to the principal without Apostille certification and cannot be used for official purposes outside the U.S. without further Apostille certification. If the documents are only needed for information — this is the quickest and cheapest option.
The heirs of the deceased person (if necessary) may, after obtaining the document, send the death certificate directly to the Department of State (DOS) of the state in which the death certificate/civil record was issued for certification with an Apostille stamp. Exact instructions on how to obtain the service and the address to which the payment instrument and self-addressed envelope should be sent can be obtained by contacting the state-specific DOS e-mail address.
The US authorities recommend on their official web pages consulting an attorney for all legal matters, including those related to civil status.

For the convenience of citizens in need, the Embassy publishes contacts of Bulgarian lawyers in the USA at: Lawyers — contacts of practicing Bulgarian lawyers/LAWYERS — BG Embassy (bulgaria—embassy.org). Lawyers in Bulgaria also offer similar services in the USA.

Consular services:
The consular services provided to Bulgarian citizens include the receipt of applications and delivery of Bulgarian identity documents; certification; receipt of applications and documents in the procedures for acquisition, release, restoration and establishment of Bulgarian citizenship; registration of birth, marriage or death; receipt of applications for criminal record certificates; assistance in obtaining a personal identification number. More information on the individual services can be found at http://www.bulgaria-embassy.org/bg/konsulski-uslugi/.

Recognition of documents:
The Republic of Bulgaria and the United States are parties to the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents, drawn up in The Hague on 5 October 1961. Documents issued by the Bulgarian authorities should be provided with an Apostille to be accepted by the US authorities and vice versa documents — issued in the US should be provided with an Apostille to be recognised in Bulgaria.
The Apostille in our country is affixed by the Ministry of Justice for court documents and by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for all other documents. In the USA, an Apostille is affixed by the Office of the Secretary of State of the state from which the document originates.

This site uses cookies. By accepting cookies you can optimise your browsing experience.

Accept Refuse More