Last update 10 August 2021Diplomatic missions
Level 4: Termination warning throughout the country (except in case of extreme necessity)
Select passport type
Regular passport: visa not required
Diplomatic passport: visa not required
Official passport: visa not required
People's Republic of Bangladesh
The Republic of Bulgaria has no functioning embassy in Bangladesh. The Embassy in New Delhi, India, is accredited to Bangladesh.
Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria to the Republic of India
Address: 16/17 Chandragupta Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi – 110021
Telephone: +91 11 261 15549; +91 11 261 15551
Fax: +91 11 268 76190
Emergency Mobile Number: +91 991 0999498
E-mail: [email protected]
The Embassy of Bangladesh in Ankara is accredited to Bulgaria.
Embassy of Bangladesh in Ankara, Turkey
Birlik Mah. 391. Cad. No: 16, Ankara, Turkey
Phone: +90 312 4952709
Fax: +90 312 4952744
E-mail: [email protected]
Honorary Consul of Bangladesh in Bulgaria
Chancellerie: 1700 Sofia, 7, rue Yana Yazova, app. 1
Tél: +359 2 862 90 36
Е-mail: [email protected]
Bangladesh taka (BDT)
Crime and security
In general, the situation in the country is relatively calm, but there is a general threat of terrorism. Demonstrations in Bangladesh are crowded and often develop into clashes and streets, neighbourhoods and entire areas remain blocked.
There have been cases of armed robbery and pick pocketing.
In Bangladesh the possession, use and distribution of drugs are subject to severe penalties, including life imprisonment or death.
Traffic operates on the left side of the road.
Upon arrival at the airport of Dhaka visitors may be tested for influenza type H1N1.
Spread diseases are dengue fever, malaria, Japanese encephalitis, anthrax, tuberculosis.
Private hospitals maintaining good standards of service operate in the large cities throughout the country.
During the stay in Bangladesh it is recommended to consume only bottled water or pre-boiled water and ice from such water. Fruits and vegetables should be thoroughly washed and dried before consumption.Consumption of food that has not undergone heat treatment is not recommended. Any unhygienic restaurants and food stalls on the street should be avoided.
Travel papers and visas
In order to travel to Bangladesh, Bulgarian citizens need a visa issued in advance.
The population of Bangladesh is predominantly Muslim and local laws are designed accordingly. Traditions, laws and religion in the country should be treated with respect, the behaviour must be consistent with cultural and religious beliefs of the local population, especially during the holy month of Ramadan and when visiting religious sites.
When visiting temples and mosques decent clothing covering arms and legs is required, shoes should be taken off before entering. In most cases taking pictures of religious sites is not permitted.
Women should cover their shoulders and wear long skirts or pants.
Couples should not be holding hands in public.
Places of public protests should be avoided.
It is recommended copies of identification documents to be stored securely.
It is advisable not to carry large sums of money and jewellery on the street.
It is not recommended to use public transport and cycle rickshaws.
What can consular officers do for you:
- Protection of rights and interests of Bulgarian nationals, Bulgarian legal entities and persons of Bulgarian origin in India and other countries of accreditation, namely Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka, in accordance with Bulgarian legislation and international treaties in force for the Republic of Bulgaria, within the limits permitted by international law and customs and the laws of India and other countries of accreditation;
- Provide advice to individuals and legal entities on consular matters or issues of significant public interest or to Bulgarian citizens in distress;
- Provide advice to Bulgarian natural persons and legal entities on the representation of their interests in investigative and court proceedings, in cases where restrictions on entry into the territory of India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka is imposed, in search of legacy / heirs, etc. in the countries of accreditation;
- Receiving, processing and sending to the competent Bulgarian institutions the applications for issuance of Bulgarian identity documents (passport, identity card and driving license);
- Receiving and processing declarations to declare invalid Bulgarian identity documents; accepting invalid Bulgarian identity documents and further notification of competent Bulgarian institutions thereof;
- Accepting and processing applications for issuance of temporary passports to Bulgarian citizens who have lost or stolen documents, and certificates to return to Bulgaria to a foreigner, issuance of replacement travel documents after obtaining authorisation by the competent Bulgarian institutions;
- Issuance of Acts of Administrative Violations under the Law on the Bulgarian Identity Documents;
- Preparation of certificates, official documents, etc. within the jurisdiction of the Embassy;
- Accepting and processing applications for obtaining Bulgarian citizenship and personal identification number, for registration of a personal identification number in the national database Population and for selection / change of permanent and current address in the Republic of Bulgaria;
- Receiving and processing applications for acceptance or restoration of Bulgarian citizenship or for release from Bulgarian citizenship;
- Receiving and processing messages on the civil status and marriage documents at the embassy;
- translations and certification of translator’s signature on civil status documents and certification of translator’s signature on other documents and papers in accordance with the stipulated competencies;
- Notary verification of signatures and transcripts / copies;
- Receiving and processing applications for issuance of Bulgarian visas;
- Providing information on visa procedures and requirements;
- Accepting requests and providing help and assistance to Bulgarian citizens and foreigners in distress within the territory of India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka;
- Protecting the interests of Bulgarian individuals and legal entities in extraordinary circumstances, such as natural disasters, terrorist attacks, etc., and the rights of Bulgarian citizens - victims of trafficking for sexual or other forms of exploitation, etc.;
- Providing information on Bulgarian citizens who are detained and / or serving a sentence of imprisonment in the countries of accreditation;
- Representing the interests of minors and underage persons or legally incapacitated persons, incapacitated persons under the international customs and legislation of India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka;
- Searching for Bulgarian citizens or persons of Bulgarian origin in India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka at the request of Bulgarian individuals or legal entities who claim a legitimate interest under the international customs and laws of those countries;
- Assisting the crews of sea and river vessels, of airplanes flying under the flag of the Republic of Bulgaria and aircrafts registered in the Republic of Bulgaria in accordance with international customs and laws of the host countries; where necessary - accepting declarations for travel on ships, handling ship documents and resolving disputes between the captain, officers, sailors and passengers, to the extend provided for in the legislation of the Republic of Bulgaria;
- Providing information about victims, arrested, deceased or perished Bulgarian citizens within the territory of India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka;
- Providing information on the procedures and required documents, and assisting with the repatriation to Bulgaria or with a funeral / official funeral in these countries in case of death of a Bulgarian citizen;
- In case of arrest – organising a visit by the consular officer to the detained Bulgarian citizen; provision of information and assistance to relatives of the detained person to visit him/her in prison; make efforts to ensure equal treatment of the detained Bulgarian citizens with the nationals of the host country;
- Providing updated information on the travel to and from the countries of accreditation;
- Accepting requests for access to public information and information on issues related to Bulgarian identity documents (passport, identity card and driving license), on the possibility of recovery or acquisition of Bulgarian citizenship, civil status, citizenship issues, Apostille, legalisation, translation of documents and certification of translator’s signature, etc. notary services in accordance with its competences;
- In exceptional cases of Bulgarian nationals in distress and after their families pay the necessary amount at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Embassy will pay the person the respective amount.
Certification and Legalisation
In order to be valid in Bulgaria and recognised by Bulgarian institutions, any documents issued by the authorities in Bangladesh must bear the stamp of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. After that they should be certified by the Embassy of Bangladesh in India. The signature and certification of the Embassy of Bangladesh in India should be certified at the consular service of the Embassy of Bulgaria there.
The documents should then be translated into Bulgarian by an authorised translation agency in Bulgaria and certified by the Certifications and legalisations Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.