50 stories - Petko (Peter) Kopcheff25 July 2022 Events and Discussions
A pioneer for the Bulgarian community in South Australia
Petko (Peter) Kopcheff arrived in Australia in 1927 seeking a better life and economic prosperity for his family, and ultimately relocated the entire family to Australia. Adelaide, South Australia is where he arrived, rolled up his sleeves and got to work. Working with local dairy farmers (Kidman) in the Fulham Gardens area. By 1937 he had earned enough to be able to bring his Wife Evanka and sons Trifon, Enu and Stefan to Australia to his own property at 433 Tapleys Hill Road, Fulham Gardens. Here is where the family market gardening business began, over the years more land was purchased at 498 Tapleys Hill Road just down the road. The family business flourished - glass houses were built for growing tomatoes and an array of vegetables were grown outside such as cauliflower and cabbages.
Petko was instrumental in the purchase of the land where the Bulgarian Hall stands today, helping to facilitate the purchase from the Reid brothers who owned the land at 443 Tapleys Hill Road.
The Bulgarian Educational & Friendly Society was established in 1949, and the first phase of the community hall was completed in 1959. A strong bond with the Bulgarian Hall has been forged over the generations with Trifon Kopcheff as part of the building party that helped erect the Main Hall. Trifon, Enu and Stefan were all foundation members and have held positions on the executive committee over the years for short periods, along with their sons and daughters. Today Petko has representatives of his family continuing this association and legacy with grandchildren, great grandchildren and great-great grandchildren heavily involved and active in the Bulgarian community in South Australia.
Attached there is a picture of Petko with his 3 sons at Trifon's wedding, and one of the Bulgarian Hall today.
The story was provided by the Bulgarian Educational and Friendly Society, Adelaide, South Australia.